Thursday, April 30, 2009

A taste of culture for you.

I'm reading Jane Eyre yet again--GREAT BOOK--and, like the good little college graduate that I am, I chose to actually read the introduction rather than skip it. (I know. I've come so far in the world.) I loved this quote from one of Charlotte Bronte's journal entries, written while she was a teacher in 1836:

"Am I to spend all the best part of my life in this wretched bondage, forcibly suppressing my rage at the idleness, the apathy, and the hyperbolical and most asinine stupidity of these fat-headed oafs, and on compulsion assuming an air of kindness, patience and assiduity?"


I have a feeling Charlotte and I would have gotten along fairly well together....

On a side note, I think I'm going to use "fat-headed oaf" as an insult for everyone from here on out.

That's all for this week's Author Spotlight. :-)

1 comments:

Mel said...

Call me an oaf all you want, but please leave the fat-headed part out!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir