Monday, February 9, 2009

Thoughts on Braces: Week 1

Yes, it's true. I finally bit the bullet, so to speak, and decided to fix my gappy teeth. So, that means I get to look like this for (roughly) the next twelve months of my life:



My apologies, but at this time I haven't released any photos with the new braces. The paparazzi is hounding me daily in a desperate attempt to capture a rare photo of my new smile, but I'm fairly adept at avoiding these pictures. (I watched a lot of "Home Improvement" as a child, and learned several tips from Wilson. Thanks, Wilson, for teaching me how to hide my face.)



Anyway, here are my thoughts about having braces, thus far:

Day 1) I was quite shocked at how relatively painless the whole process was. "This is it?" I thought. "This isn't bad at all! People are such whiners!" Of course, I didn't know what in the world to do with my mouth now that it was filled with a layer of ceramic and metal, but that was just fine. I could deal with that.

Day 2) Things were still great. I went to work, I could talk, had a fun night. Things were awesome. Once again I thought, "People are whiners! This isn't even that bad."

Day 3) I got my come-uppance, big time. I woke up and my lips were so swollen that I didn't even have dimples any more. I looked a little like Jack Nicholson's Joker from "Batman". I had this pained perma-grin on my face:


Not cute.

Day 4) Thoughts-- "Kill me now." "My mouth is on fire." "What was I thinking?"
On a positive note, I did lose about five pounds because I COULDN'T EAT ANYTHING!!!! Ha ha.

Day 5) "I AM GOING TO RIP THESE BRACES OUT ONE BRACKET AT A TIME!"

Day 6) #&$#*#*!!!

Day 7) Somehow, I found my inner chi and decided to respect the braces. I guess.

Secretly, I still want to rip them out of my mouth, but I'm trying to be a good girl. Plus, the brackets seem to be plenty willing to pop off on their own, so I don't even need to do anything.

Oh well. It will be worth it, right?

Just say yes, everyone. Humor me.

4 comments:

Mari said...

Um, yeah. Totally worth it... Soon the pain will be a distant memory healed by gorgeous super model teeth.
For the record I thought you looked beautiful before though.

Mel said...

You are hilarious! I needed a good laugh today. I especially loved the Wilson and Joker references.

Taren said...

I love reading anything that involves Wilson. Touche.

Soon this will all be a disant memory, and you will get a good chuckle any time someone asks "did you have braces, or are you teeth just naturally perfect?"

Taren said...

p.s. I replied to your comment. you were wondering why I cried...

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir